Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Weight Loss: Digging for Answers

I have been trying to lose weight for years.  I took off about 20 pounds a year ago by going on a very low calorie diet and, upon getting off the very expensive protein packs and vitamins that were part of the program, immediately gained the 20 pounds back plus ten more.

I am an emotional eater; that is a given.  I eat and eat and eat and eat, often without realizing what I have eaten.  I have been known to look for the other snack I brought to the couch only to discover that I have already eaten it.  If I start eating out of a bag of nuts or a box of crackers or whatever, I will likely polish off a huge portion of the contents before I realize it.

In the past month, I have made some major changes in my eating habits.  One, I eat no sugar at all if I can help it.  That means no cookies, no candy, no desserts of any kind.  It also means getting things like coffee creamer that are sugar free.  I read labels.  I check calorie count websites to see what fruits (I love virtually all fruits) are high in sugar.  For example, I no longer eat bananas because of their high sugar content.

Also, I have almost cut out all breads.  I no longer have toast, not even the 100 calorie slice type.  I no longer have the sausage biscuits from McDonalds for breakfast.

I am consciously trying to take in more fiber and fewer carbs.

I am also working on portion control, with "working" being the key word here.  I put my nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts) into portion controlled snack packs.  The challenge then becomes to eat just one pack....

I have broadened my choices of green and yellow vegetables.  I love salads and have them often, and I have recently added things like yellow and Italian squash.

I know I need to combine good food choices with exercise, so I go to the pool every day and do at least an hour of water aerobics.  I really work while I am in the water.  I use weights, noodles, bands, water gloves.  I recently added interval training to my water routine.

The problem:  with these changes in my life, I have lost zero pounds.  Nada!  Nothing.  Not a single pound.
Very frustrating.  I am discouraged.  And I am open to any and all suggestions.  Anything you can suggest will be considered.  I so want to be 30 pounds lighter and 30 pounds healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment