Thursday, December 16, 2010

Going to Create a Road Map

I am exhausted tonight. Long day. But it's all good.

My husband's report on his prostate cancer was very very good. His PSA has "disappeared", so the treatment is working.

I had a 75 minute workout this morning in preparation for the doctor visit. I knew I needed to be ready for whatever the news was. I was NOT prepared to hear that John's PSA was at zero. I did not know that was even possible. But I read the lab report myself. So he will get another injection in March and is to continue doing whatever he wants.

Isn't it interesting how we so often prepare ourselves for bad news instead of expecting great news? Because I was fixated on expecting the worst possible news, I went through a lot of crap I did not need, just worrying about something I have no control over anyway. I need to stop that.

The doctor expressed some concern about the brittleness of Johnny's bones. That is a side effect of the treatment he is on. I need to ask the doctor if there is more we need to do to combat that. I have Johnny on Vitamin D, calcium, fish oil, and flaxseed oil now, which his primary doctor approved. But I suspect we need to do more. I have to check it out.

I am going to use Allan's information for my 'Due Date' and create something that takes me to the end of days. In other words, I will be counting down the days to victory. I just need a clear head and a few moments to figure it out and decide how I can illustrate it on my blog.

I think I went over my 1200 calories today. After we left the doctor, we went out to lunch. I had a chef salad at Village Inn, and it apparently had more calories than I thought it would. Won't make that mistake again. I am learning more and more about food values.

I stopped at Safeway tonight and was kind of looking for the soy ice cream another blogger mentioned. I did not find it, but during the process I checked out several ice creams, sherberts, sorbets, etc. I was AMAZED at how many calories were in the sherberts and sorbets, and it is obvious that the phrase "reduced fat" means very little when it comes to ice cream. They were all fattening, and I did not find the soy ice cream, so I came home with broccoli instead. Also made some ground turkey with some salad spices on it and some cajun spices. Made it really tasty.

Johnny went to bed early. I think he was mentally exhausted. Can't blame him. He is a positive thinker, but these past few days have been tough for him. The "not knowing" is a killer.

There are reminders all around us that life is good, but we sometimes get so caught up in our own drama that we don't see them. We get so busy with our "doing" that we forget about our "being."

In fact, I forgot to ask for God's help with my weight control today. I forgot the three most powerful words in the universe: God, help me.

Tomorrow is a new day, with lots of things that need doing. I will try to begin by being grateful.

3 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL NEWS! I hope and pray that the treatment continues to heal him. We have to go to Houston every four months for appointments with my husband's oncologist, so I know all to well how stressful those visits can be. My thoughts and prayers are with you both! *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Stephanie. Sounds like you know first hand about the stress. I hope your husband is responding well to his treatments also. Does he have prostate cancer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was diagnosed with skin cancer this past April, but his Doctor was able to remove it all through surgery. He removed an eight inch section of his back and three lymph nodes, but thankfully it hadn't spread, so he didn't have to take treatments. It's such an aggressive cancer though, so we both stay on top of it, making sure he doesn't go without his sunscreen, long-sleeved shirts, and hat, and I check him from head to toe at least once a week for any suspicious spots. We drive 500+ miles to Houston every four months for check-ups with his oncologist, and we'll be doing that for the next couple of years. Those visits are SO stressful, but God has brought us both through it all, and we just pray that he continues to bless us. You and your husband are in my continued prayers! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete