Thursday, December 23, 2010

Staying the Course When the Path is a Detour From Expectations

Because I had a tough dentist visit yesterday, with lots and lots of novacaine to "try" to numb me up for much drilling and filling in preparation for a crown on a back molar, my body is doing its fibromyalgia trick today. I am sore and achy all over due to the stress and pain associated with the dentist thing. Fillings are always hard for me because the dentist can't get me numb, and they always end up hitting a nerve several times during the procedure, which sends me through the roof momentarily and sends my body into a fibro attack.

I am not stressing about the fibro spell, however, because I have learned what my triggers are: if I get too stressed or too tired, I will invariably have a fibro attack. So I am taking it easy today, drinking lots of water and any other fluid I can think of, and doing "quiet" projects like writing letters and hemming a pair of my husband's pants.

Food is not an option to make me feel better, as it would have been and has been so many times before. I feel sooo good about that.

I also feel really proud of my incredible workout yesterday. I had spent a few days out of the pool fighting a bad cold, and that was a really smart thing to do. My cold is all better, and I felt so strong during my workout yesterday. I had a 1 3/4 hour workout, nonstop exercise, and I don't know that I have ever felt so strong. It was amazing: I was able to do interval training with no problem, even when I really pushed myself. I MUST be getting stronger. And it was great to be able to tell one of my workout buddies that I have lost seven pounds. Yee haw!!

Today, there is no pool workout, so I have been using my free weights and will use my bands. I don't know that those activities burn many calories, but they are great for toning and firming.

I find it hard to use the word calories without chuckling. Thoughts of Allan's post yesterday on calories and the accompanying comments about various activities still cracks me up. Too too funny. I WILL say that his post definitely gave me a new "perspective" about things we can do to burn calories. Now, if I only knew how to measure some of those activities. But I don't want to go there.....I could write a novel....

Back to reality. My husband and I made a decision to not have a big traditional dinner this Chistmas. There are several people we could (and probably should) have over for Christmas dinner, but I am putting my weight program first. If I were to have people over, I would have all kinds of dishes made that I don't need right now. I am not at the point where I feel I am disciplined enough to resist temptation, so I choose to remove myself from the great holiday food banquet. Also, since we are leaving for Oregon two or three days after Christmas, I don't need to deal with the leftovers. How's that for getting out of cooking? Actually, I already bought the turkey. But I will save it for another time.

Today, I will go to Fitness Pal and enter all food BEFORE I eat it. That is a good thing for me to do in terms of helping me stay disciplined. I had been tracking my food in a notebook, then entering it into Fitness Pal at the end of the day. Sometimes, that causes nasty surprises: I am often shocked at how many calories a particular food or serving is, even though I am working very hard on reading labels. So I will take the extra step and time to enter the food into Fitness Pal ahead of time and therefore find out what the caloric price tag is. That way, I can still correct my diet if I need to.

2 comments:

  1. I think you made a great decision. And way to go on that exercise and good eating! I'm very proud of you! Merry Christmas! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a firm commitment you've got, how inspiring.

    So sorry to hear about the fibro attack and the difficult dentist visit. That's tough. But it sounds like you are doing really well in spite of the adversity. Have a great low-key holiday.

    ReplyDelete